Managing an office properly and keeping your employees happy helps in increasing productivity and efficiency of a company, but it is not an easy task. Small business owners often struggle with creating an office environment that their employees will love because they think they can’t compete with larger businesses.
Sometimes, no matter what you do it’s nearly impossible to make everyone happy at the same time. If employees feel like you’re investing in them and providing them with everything they need then they too will invest their hard work into the company. Here we have mentioned a few things that business owners can do to make their employees love office:
- Find the Right Space: This is the first thing that you need to do, find an office space that works for your company. Start by thinking about your needs and those of your employees and clients. Employees always love an office space which is close to their home. The office location should be easily accessible by everyone.
- Design the Best Layout for Office: Creating a layout for office space and maximizing its use is all in your hands. If the office has separate rooms, you can’t change them, but you can make better use of them. If a room is large in size and you’re confused about how to use it, try using partition in the office rooms by installing stud partitions. You can call stud partitions specialist to organise the room in better manner. If you have open space then you might take a cubical approach and assign everyone a space. Some offices use partition desk, so everyone can come in and sit where they like.
- Keep it Organised: Employees have lot of things to do in their daily office schedule. Whether it’s making new strategies, completing projects, writing blogs, generating new businesses or even answering phone calls. The productivity and motivation of employees can suffer if things are not organised such as important documents, tools and supplies. So to keep your office organized, try giving everything its own space, and make sure that the employees can utilize those spaces efficiently.
- Provide Comfortable Workstation Options: Working all day at the same place can cause many problems such as back pain which is commonly associated with work desks. So to keep your employees fit and healthy offer them moveable workstations. As it will reduce workers compensation, healthcare costs and increase productivity. You don’t have to invest much in a workstation, just provide flexible chairs or allow them to change their location whenever they want. Have a few sitting and standing options for your employees while they are working at their desks. Provide some equipment such as squeeze balls, exercise balls which can reduce stress and work pressure.
- Ask Them About their Daily Activities: Asking your employees about their daily activities can make a huge impact on their performance. Also, this is the simplest thing you can do to make them happy. Every day try to communicate with different employees and ask them how their day is going. You would be surprised to know, how much people have to say. Employees feel good when there is someone in the office who wants to talk about their work and how they are doing with their daily work schedule.
- Focus on Utility: If you hear complaints on daily basis regarding technology and equipment malfunctions then it can frustrate your employees endlessly. If all these utilities work in a flawless manner then it’s a good way to make your employees satisfied with their surroundings. As a business owner, you should take advantage of the research and give thought to furniture design and how it fits the needs of employees and their work habits. The office space should be wired to support Wi-Fi to maximize the space’s flexibility. Employees spend more time at work than almost anywhere else, so the office environment should be comfortable and inspiring.
- Go Out with Them for Lunch: Going to lunch and spending time with them is a great way to show your employees that you respect them not just as employees, but as individuals. Also, it is a great way to learn about them beyond their workload. Have a good meaningful conversation with them about something other than deadlines. If your company is too big for taking out on lunch, plan to organize a pool party or pub party, after all everyone loves to dance and enjoy music. This act is not only fun, but creates relationships that go beyond the desk and keeps people interested in their work life and excited about their role.
- Offer Incentives for Good Work: Everyone loves to earn some extra money and it’s also a great way to retain employees. Try offering a monthly prize for saving the company money or for working extra hours with good behaviour.
- Create Opportunities for New Experience: Get to know the employees who pay special attention and show interest in different aspects of the business. If you get to know that people are interested in something then make it a priority for them to learn. Learning is something which can be done anytime, anywhere. It’s also beneficial for a company if the employees want to explore their skill and creativity in different fields.
Keeping your employees happy and making them love their office is not that difficult. You just have to work on your skills to communicate with them in a better way and give them the freedom to work the way they want to.