Managing space in a workplace is not an easy task; you have to look for everything from a reception to canteen. An efficient space makes teamwork and collaboration easier and also increases productivity. Poor space planning can have the opposite effect, making workers less efficient and less productive. So a good space planning is essential for a workplace. To use your office space in a better way, you have to plan the entire area. Plan how you can utilise maximum of the space and put more stuff to your office.
The Importance of Space Management in a Workplace:
When we begin to design an office, we always look at the overall objective for that space. There are many common objectives of space planning, first being that businesses are looking to reduce their cost by more properly utilizing the space. Instead of renting a large office, companies look for a small space to fit their employees in a better way.
If there is proper space in your office for everything then employees will work more efficiently. A good space planning can help reduce a business’s environmental impact, which many forward-thinking companies strive to do. Here are some tips which can help you to manage space in your workplace.
- Use of Furniture: Furniture is the most important part of an office as it covers most of the area. If the furniture is placed correctly according to the space then it will add to the beauty of your workplace and will not obstruct your movement in office. Never use large tables if the work can be done with small tables. If you’re having problems in fixing the furniture, hire https://manorinteriorsolutions.co.uk/our-services/bespoke-joinery/ to fit furniture in difficult spaces.
- Make Use of Common Area: The common areas of office promote interactions between employees that occur naturally. Recognizing the value of office common areas is the first step in determining what type of relationship you.
- Use Wall-to-Wall Flooring: Use one flooring material wall-to-wall instead of having a rug on a carpet or hard floor. Small rugs can make any space feel chopped up so stick with wall-to-wall commercial carpeting or an engineered wood floor that will be easy to care for. Avoid hard floor tiles, which can create an echo and make phone conversations challenging.
- Get Rid of Irrelevant Items: When you are going to set up your new office, leave all the irrelevant things which are not concerned with your business. If you are already running a business then take a look at your office space and ensure that all things are relevant to the business. If you find anything that is not relevant then you should get rid of those things. This would make the office look spacious and clean.
- Focus on Technology and Equipment Requirements: It is also important to consider required technology and the equipment needed for each space. While planning, you should not have a space dedicated to particular equipment as it can be changed in the future.
- Strike a Balance: Creating a space that combines efficient open areas with opportunities for private and semi-private meetings and work can give you the best of both worlds. These spaces are more efficient and less expensive than closed space and also offer the productivity benefits that come along with closed layouts.
- Design for Daily Operations: A good space plan must take into account the day-to-day operations of an organization. Where will departments be located? How will people within each department interact? If your marketing department interacts with sales on a regular basis, you wouldn’t want to place the two departments on opposite side of the building. Considering these types of things in advance will ensure a layout that helps increase productivity and efficiency rather than deter or hinder it.
- Lightning Effect: Proper lighting in the office area would give you the opportunity to clearly view the office space. Proper lightning in an office helps employees to work effectively.
- Promote Positive Change: It is important to motivate employees and promote the new and improved space. Maintaining an enthusiastic attitude and sharing your excitement goes a long way. It also helps to get feedback from everyone involved and remaining approachable during the process.
- Use Small Scale Pieces: Instead of using big desk in office area, use small scale pieces. Get a small work station, perhaps one with a couple of file cabinets and a pencil drawer. Every employee keeps most of his data in computer, so why take up valuable space with a large desk.
These small tips can be used to manage space efficiently in your workplace. A well-designed workspace has been proven to boost productivity and increase the happiness and satisfaction of a workforce.